Friday, March 9, 2012

family...local...

i'm so very fortunate to have family in town.  i've thought of this frequently since Avery was born, i'm so very lucky to have their support and to have them close by.  i can't imagine how hard it is to live away from family and to have to wing it solo as a parent.  if anything comes up, i've at least got my mom, sister and mother-in-law (and father-in-law an hour away) if needed.  especially since derek works the insane schedule that he does...i'm solo with Avery a lot.  but for little things, like dentist appointments like i had last night, it's not always awesome to bring my little 2 year old shadow.  so much easier to just call someone to come over and watch her.  and mommy nights out?  hardly EVER have these, but when the opportunity presents itself (like tonight, I get to go to a concert with a friend), i can actually think about it because I can usually find kid coverage.  lucky indeed.  i know many parents don't have this advantage and my hat is off to them.  i miss her insanely and try as much as possible to never ever spend nights away from her because her bedtime routine is literally the only constant this kid has, and i feel a little bad about that.  she's had to be really adaptable at her young age.  she never knows who is coming in to get her in the morning, where she's going that day, if anywhere, if she's staying home, with whom, how long she'll be away from the house if she's going somewhere, when mom or dad will be home, etc.  but...bedtime...that is always mom. i'm always with her at night and we have the same routine each night, and wherever possible, i try to stick to that.  so, inevitably, i'll feel terrible leaving her tonight, especially since i've been away at work all day long as well, and will miss her sooooo much, but she'll be just fine.  and as much as it will break my heart, i do need SOME mommy nights and am so thankful today to have family local to help me out with her.  it takes a village...right?  :)

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is, I wish I could help out more. I wish I didn't have to work full-time and could have Avery every day. I'm just glad I can help out when I can, like being there for the Thursday dentist appointment and last night. I just can't get enough of Miss Avery. She is a delight to be with and spend time with. I know what it's like to be on the other end of the spectrum having no family and no friends to help out - it's very difficult and can get very lonely at times. And as much as you appreciate your family being close, I can say for one that I love and appreciate being close and will continue to help out whenever I can. As for routines...it is always nice to have a special time or "routine" that's all yours - just you and Avery - and it sounds like night time has become just that. Continue to embrace it as your special time of day because it's very obvious it's become a VERY special time for Avery. Love xoxo

    ReplyDelete