it seems to me that for whatever reason, in the last year or so, there have been way too many cases of children being hurt, tortured or killed by their parents, or by strangers, and it makes me physically sick to my stomach. there are enough problems in the world without hearing about cases like this. but also...there is a lot of good in the world that gets completely ignored. a lot of really important and really awesome things happening in other countries that get completely ignored also. so for a while, i was just turning the news on quickly to grab the weather report ("I get the news I need on the weather report...", thank you Paul Simon), but now I don't even do that because I usually have to sit through some horrible murder story first before the weather comes on. so I have this brilliant little thing called an iPhone where there is seriously an app for EVERYTHING, so i just go right to the weather channel app. no horrible news needed, thank you very much. come to think of it, the only time my TV is even on anymore is to let my little girl watch a short Charlie Brown movie before she goes to sleep. or to watch a show that I've DVR'd before I go to bed (skipping all of the commercials of course). i get way too sensitive about all of these stories anymore. I guess parenthood made me this way. I hold my daughter close, hug and kiss her many times every single day and end the day each evening with telling her how much I love her, and praying to God to protect her and keep her safe always from the things that I can't. so turn your TV's off and hug your children. they will love you for the rest of their lives but you have to love them first so that they know how.
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Why I don't watch the news anymore
it seems to me that for whatever reason, in the last year or so, there have been way too many cases of children being hurt, tortured or killed by their parents, or by strangers, and it makes me physically sick to my stomach. there are enough problems in the world without hearing about cases like this. but also...there is a lot of good in the world that gets completely ignored. a lot of really important and really awesome things happening in other countries that get completely ignored also. so for a while, i was just turning the news on quickly to grab the weather report ("I get the news I need on the weather report...", thank you Paul Simon), but now I don't even do that because I usually have to sit through some horrible murder story first before the weather comes on. so I have this brilliant little thing called an iPhone where there is seriously an app for EVERYTHING, so i just go right to the weather channel app. no horrible news needed, thank you very much. come to think of it, the only time my TV is even on anymore is to let my little girl watch a short Charlie Brown movie before she goes to sleep. or to watch a show that I've DVR'd before I go to bed (skipping all of the commercials of course). i get way too sensitive about all of these stories anymore. I guess parenthood made me this way. I hold my daughter close, hug and kiss her many times every single day and end the day each evening with telling her how much I love her, and praying to God to protect her and keep her safe always from the things that I can't. so turn your TV's off and hug your children. they will love you for the rest of their lives but you have to love them first so that they know how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are spot on with the news. It is very depressing to hear all the horrible stories, however true, about innocent children being harmed. I'm all for the iPhone APPs - get the weather and hold on to your children...shower them with love and kisses - turn off the TV. And by all means...pray for God to protect them, especially when you can't be at their side and I'll continue to do the same. Extra helpings of love and prayer never hurt anyone...SO, pass me an extra helping of love and prayer, and 86 the TV.
ReplyDelete